Overview of Smart Feasibility Calculator
The Smart Feasibility Calculator is a simple application to help you calculate the feasibility of a property development project using Google Sheets. With the Smart Feasibility Calculator, you can "VET" potential development projects and find the best deals faster. The SFC stops you from wasting your precious time researching deals that are never going to stack up and find the best opportunities before your competitors even know they exist.
1. Install the Smart Feasibility Calculator add-on to your Google account. For more details, refer to Add-On Installation.
2. Open a new Google Sheet.
3. Click Add-ons on the menu and navigate to SFC.
The Smart Feasibility Calculator dialog will be displayed.
4. Click Create Sheets.
A template will be created, with two sheets:
- Setup - This is the sheet in which you will configure/set up your project details including Project Name, Description, Address, Prepared By, Unit Of Measurement, Currency Symbol, Tax Name, Tax Rate, Margin Scheme, Land Purchase Price/Acquisition Cost, Total Saleable Units - Residential/Commercial, Total Units, and Sensitivity - Total Costs/Total Sales. This page also provides some important links and links to courses and resources. It also lists the assumptions and the abbreviations used in the application.
- PDS SFC v5.0 - This sheet displays the calculations for Revenue, Development Costs, Other Income, Finance Costs, Tax Liability, and Summary based on the details you have entered in the Setup sheet.
The screenshot of a sample template is shown below:
Now, let’s look at each sheet in detail.
The cells of this page are color-coded. All the blue cells are input cells in which you can enter/edit text values or numerical values. There are certain cells with dropdown lists, also blue in color, for which you have to select the required values from the dropdown. All the black cells are formula cells/output cells for which values will be calculated and auto-generated. You need not / cannot enter/edit the values for these cells manually.
5. In the Project Details section, enter/select the required values for the fields. Field descriptions are listed below:
- Project Name - Name of the project for which you want to calculate the feasibility.
- Description - A brief description of the project.
- Address - The project address.
- Prepared By - The name of the user who prepared the calculations using SFC.
- Unit Of Measurement - The unit of measurement used throughout the project.
- Currency Symbol - The symbol of the currency used for transactions in the project.
- Tax Name - The tax type/name applicable to the project. If no tax type is applicable for the project, then select NA from the dropdown.
- Tax Rate - The percentage of tax applicable to the project.
- Margin Scheme - Specify if the margin is applicable for the project.
- Land Purchase Price/Acquisition Cost - Cost for which the project land was purchased/acquired.
- Total Saleable Units - Residential - Total number of residential units that are for sale in the project.
- Total Saleable Units - Commercial - Total number of commercial units that are for sale in the project.
- Total Units - Total number of units that are for sale in the project.
- Sensitivity - Total Costs - Price sensitivity of the total cost of the project.
- Sensitivity - Total Sales - Price sensitivity of the total sales of the project.
Note: For more information, refer to SFC Project Details.
The Important Links section provides a list of useful links including:
- Report A Bug - To report a bug/issue you faced. Click the link and the Report A Bug form will be displayed. Enter/select the required values in the fields and click the Submit button.
- Request A Feature - To request a new feature in the next version of the add-on. Click the link the Feature Requests form will be displayed. Enter/select the required values in the fields and click the Submit button.
- Contact Support - To contact Property Development Systems support for any queries/issues related to the add-ons. Click the link and the mail compose dialogue will be displayed. Compose an email with details of your query and click Send.
- Terms & Conditions - To view the terms and conditions of use of service. Click the link and the Terms And Conditions page will be displayed.
The Courses & Resources section provides links to courses and resources of Property Development System including:
- Quick Start Property Development Course - Link to a free quick-start property development short course.
- Property Development Books - Link to the eBooks collection on property development by Amber Khanna.
- Property Development System - Link to the free course Property Development System.
- Lead Developer: Feasibility Suite - Link to the course Lead Developer: Feasibility Suite.
6. The following sections list the assumptions and abbreviations used in the Smart Feasibility Calculator. For more information about assumptions, refer to SFC Assumptions.
PDS SFC v5.0
This sheet displays the calculations for Revenue, Development Costs, Other Income, Finance Costs, Tax Liability, and Summary based on the details you have entered in the Setup sheet. It has two input methods, of which you can choose to enter only one. The first input method is the Fixed Price/Cost or Dollar per Unit ($/Unit) method. In this method, you can enter the amount in the $/Unit field. The second input method is the Percentage of Construction Cost (% of Const. Costs) method. In this method, you can enter the value as a percentage of the cost of the entire construction. However, you cannot enter values for both the input methods. If you do so, an error will be displayed and no calculations will happen in the right section, as shown in the screenshot below:
The calculations will be displayed after you enter/select the Tax Name and Tax Rate in the Setup sheet.